Busy Weekend, Family Closet

For this three day weekend, Mike and I embarked on a project - turning our master closet into a family clothes closet. This part of the house sees the family activity: there are two full baths, one with shower, one with tub, connected by a short hall with the closet. My washer and dryer are in the shower bathroom, so the closet is three feet from the dryer. It is unusual, but this section of the house was an add-on by the previous owners. The kids dress in these baths every morning and bathe there in the evenings. The girls' bedroom is off the shower bath, but the boys are all the way in the front of the house. For the last few years, all the current clothes were in my master bedroom to ease dressing, but we are overwhelmed by laundry baskets. I am not 100% done, but 5 out of 6 sets of clothes are now relocated. The kids are in cubbies, like you buy at Lowe's, with the cloth cube baskets. Sunday things are hung. We already had a decent setup as we installed Closetmaid rods/shelves a few years back. I just worked with it and slid those cubbies in. I found hidden fabric in there (oops!), clothes that needed to go, my first sewing machine (a used Kenmore that I loved). I still have some things to sort through, but it is definitely workable. For larger families, family closets can be a good thing. For us, it may be a lifesaver. I washed and dried clothes today and took them directly into the closet, sorted and put them away right there. No more clutter in our bedroom. For more on them, check out pinterest or do a search. The ultra-large family, Duggars, from Arkansas, have a room-sized one. I took from what I found and worked it with the lowest cost option, the cubbies and our existing framework of Closetmaid.

Comments

What a great idea! I always feel so smug when I come up with a creative solution like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Friday Patterns