Simplicity 2473 - Final Post

Edited: blogger put my photos in reverse order, so the photos and comments are backwards. I would fix it but the kids are fighting and I need to break it up!
The finished dress front

The closer look at the bodice

Back view

The correction on back neck facing; I don't know what happened but after inserting the zipper, the tops did not match. At this last moment, the only solution was to fold it down more, trim the facing and I topstitched the back neck only ending at the shoulder seams. I have long hair that will cover the topstitching, the thread color matched perfectly and I pressed the seams in. I could have fixed it better, but the hook/eye were in and ripping this was painful as the colors matched too well.

All in all, a great pattern, the bodice fit me out of the envelope so that is unusual. I like the flared skirt, but would have liked a bit more volume. I also would have liked it longer than knee length, so if I make it again, I will add to the hem area. Summerset recommended 5/8" strips of fusible interfacing for them hems, worked like a charm. I machine stitched them hems since the thread matched and it was a knit. For a longer hem and in a woven, I would have hand hemmed. Now I may be ready for Sunday night; it's the Knights of Columbus 4th degree Christmas party and since Mike is our Grand Knight, I wanted to look nice. For the retro style, I have been experimenting with wet-set curlers and have tamed my curly hair into a softer look. I will get Alicia, our friend/babysitter to take a photo of us on Sunday with him in his tux.

Comments

gwensews said…
Your dress turned out beautifully. Love the color. You will be smashing!
julia said…
I love this dress. The color is great! Your zipper fix is perfect.
KID, MD said…
It looks beautiful. The zipper fix looks good. I can't wait to see it on you!
I have used the zipper fix many a time. Can't wait to see the retro hair style!

Popular posts from this blog

Free Friday Patterns