What I am working on today



A 1945 Simplicity dress, the brown dress on the right, #1541. The bodice and yoke was not easy, I had to hand baste the entire thing, it was kind of like set in seams with quilting the 8 pointed stars, but weirder. It does look cool, and neat inside, as I zigzagged the seams over the straight stitch, trimmed and pressed (my serger substitute). I cut this out weeks ago, but thought today was fitting since it is election day and a patriotic duty (if you recall, WWII ended in '45). A cute swing dress with a v neck... One of my favorite eras!

The dress is made of "calcutta" cloth from Joann's and Hancocks; I had 2 yds of brown from the mini-wardrobe I never finished and some beige leftover from maternity pants I could never get to fit. I had barely enough dark brown to do this, this came from a Joann's in San Antonio that is now closed, but I was determined! I wanted to duplicate the cover dress in something easy-care but not use eyelet on the yoke as the model does, since it is fall.

I will be fitting the skirt and bodice together tomorrow after I finish ripping the skirt seams. When I cut it out I put the skirt together to let any bias fall, which it did not, but I used 5/8" seams and it calls for 1/2", which the bodice is made with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Friday Patterns