Yes, Today was Wear A Dress Day and I...

did not. I just don't have many dresses right now and most are suited for Sunday wear. But, I am trying to finish one for tomorrow being our "date" night and dinner to remember Baby Joseph (see earlier post). I have taken Butterick 5216, the V necked view and amended into a dress with a lowered waistline, but having trouble figuring out what to do with the plunging neckline. I realize I will have to wear a camisole underneath, but want to end higher up and have a button placket or a lace-up, like a corset (so risque for this middle-age mom). I have picked a $1/yd Walmart special in a rayon-like polyester, black with large white flowers and vines. We shall see how the front bodice turns out. I have the skirt ready to attach and all other areas fairly finished. Any suggestions?

My grandmother and aunt are at my parents, having fled the hurricane and no power in Houston. I took the dresden plate blocks and the green vintage dress I made for my daughter for my grandma to see. She is almost 90 and doesn't sew or crochet anymore but used to be one who could see a dress in a shop window, go home and recreate one. She was good at fitting but her sister was a perfectionist at fitting. I can remember as a child those two working diligently on some cousin's (wedding, prom, etc.) formal dress for hours. My mom can sew well, too, but doesn't stray much from the views shown and rarely sews now. She has not taught me, I have taught myself and studied all of your wonderful ideas closely. My grandmother was impressed with the dress and quilt blocks, especially how neat I leave everything inside a dress, without someone showing me. She loved how I made the black cherries dress, she used to use those 50's wrap housedresses all of the time and later, shifts in gingham, and asked me to make her one. I don't know if she will wear it, she hasn't worn dresses in years, but I might for "old times sake" to make her happy and nostalgic. Here is a photo of us with her wearing one of those gingham shifts under her coat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Friday Patterns